I Feel Close to God When......
In the front yard of our home on Walnut Road in Temple, there was a huge fruitless mulberry tree. Most of you know that those type of trees are famous for having huge roots and no grass that will grow underneath them. And, both was true in our case. But, the good thing was it had a HUGE span of branches that covered half of our front yard! These brances were so thick that if a nice shower came thru, you would barely get wet underneath! So, that is where our swing was!
We bought this swing from one of Nell Brindley's garage sales just before they moved away from Bobcat Trail and we also moved away a year or so later. I put the swing in our front yard on purpose. I wanted a place to sit and watch the world go by! I also thought it would make a great place for Katie and Will to "court". I know! I know! I'm totally showing my age! And, like they didn't know I could see them since it was right out my kitchen window! Many evenings, Mark and I enjoyed sitting out there and waving to folks who were out walking or riding their bikes or strolling with their babies. When we put the "for sale" sign in our yard upon our move to Abilene, many people inquired whether or not we'd be selling the swing. No way! Now, when we got to our new home, there were no trees. So, we had to actually plant two trees in the hopes that we'll live long enough to put our swing underneath one! Now, it's in our backyard where it faces ACU (over our wall/fence) and is very wonderful to watch a West Texas sunset!
The thing I have most enjoyed about our swing is that when I'm sitting there watching a sunset or enjoying a slow rain as in the past or whatever, I feel so much peace. No matter the problem, no matter how bad my day has been, I feel like nothing is too bad while I am sitting there swinging away! I think it's because I always feel so close to God when I'm outside. I am NOT an outdoors person generally. I like AC and heat, since I live in Texas! But, when I'm outside and sitting on my swing and feeling a breeze and watching a sunset, I feel like God is so close to me and me to Him. I need to take the time to sit out there more. I wish our trees would grow faster!
When or where do you feel the closest to God?
We bought this swing from one of Nell Brindley's garage sales just before they moved away from Bobcat Trail and we also moved away a year or so later. I put the swing in our front yard on purpose. I wanted a place to sit and watch the world go by! I also thought it would make a great place for Katie and Will to "court". I know! I know! I'm totally showing my age! And, like they didn't know I could see them since it was right out my kitchen window! Many evenings, Mark and I enjoyed sitting out there and waving to folks who were out walking or riding their bikes or strolling with their babies. When we put the "for sale" sign in our yard upon our move to Abilene, many people inquired whether or not we'd be selling the swing. No way! Now, when we got to our new home, there were no trees. So, we had to actually plant two trees in the hopes that we'll live long enough to put our swing underneath one! Now, it's in our backyard where it faces ACU (over our wall/fence) and is very wonderful to watch a West Texas sunset!
The thing I have most enjoyed about our swing is that when I'm sitting there watching a sunset or enjoying a slow rain as in the past or whatever, I feel so much peace. No matter the problem, no matter how bad my day has been, I feel like nothing is too bad while I am sitting there swinging away! I think it's because I always feel so close to God when I'm outside. I am NOT an outdoors person generally. I like AC and heat, since I live in Texas! But, when I'm outside and sitting on my swing and feeling a breeze and watching a sunset, I feel like God is so close to me and me to Him. I need to take the time to sit out there more. I wish our trees would grow faster!
When or where do you feel the closest to God?

1 Comments:
Outside -- pretty much anywhere if it's between 50* and 85* (I'm not sure God is there when it's at either extreme! :-) I love to walk through my neighborhood in the cool of the morning and talk to God -- thanking God for the friends my children have here, praying for the teachers of the school, praying for some elderly people that I know are recently widowed or are alone. And thanking God for the squirrels that are fighting, the birds that are running (why do they do that when they have wings?) and the beauty -- yes, BEAUTY, in Abilene, TX!!
Good luck on growing your trees -- at least now you can water twice a week! :-)
By
Sarah, at 5:37 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home