He Leadeth Me

Friday, April 08, 2005

Hello Again!

Let me start out by saying that I’m very sorry that it has taken me so long to write an update! Since I last blogged, we haven’t known anything new. But, we’ve had so many kind people saying they’ve been checking so I wanted to update you as soon as possible. And, now we know a little something……

Mark had his PET scan a week ago today. That is a test where they inject radioactive glucose into your veins and wait for it to “pass thru” then they scan and look for any highlights (kind of like “glow in the dark”). Only abnormal cells or tumors would be highlighted. The good news is NOTHING highlighted! All clear! Thank you, Lord!

Now we are waiting on a Dr. from Dallas to call us with an appointment time for us to see him about a second opinion on his course of treatment. Even Mark’s Dr. here recommended that we get a second opinion since his type of tumor is not-so-common and even more uncommon in someone his age. There is no uncertainty that the tumor is gone and that he is free of any abnormal cells. The plan has been (and will probably continue to be after the second opinion) that he will do six weeks of radiation treatments and that will be here in Abilene. We are anxious to start those treatments. Like Will use to say at the beginning of elementary school in the Fall, “the sooner we get started, the sooner it’ll be over!

Mark started teaching one class last week. This is an upper level Statistics class that no one else in the department wants near! I think that has been the “carrot dangling” for him to get well quick and take his class back! He is hoping to return to one more class before school is out. There are two more classes of his that other profs have been so kind to teach for him and what a great family at ACU that others just step-up and are ready to help! I want to brag just a bit though….he got a card in the mail this week from one of his classes that he won’t be returning to. All the students had signed it and some wrote notes. One young man wrote, “Dr. Riggs, You are the ONLY math teacher I have EVER understood! Hurry back!”

So, we are so good and Mark feels well and except for a few missing pounds (Mark lost 20 and I gained 3!) he looks like nothing ever happened! He is highly anticipating his return to the golf course and in about a week or so, will start lightly swinging his 7 iron. (whatever that means?)

I am going to write a separate “blog” tonight for my prayer requests. You all have been so faithful to keep up with us and to pray for our friends. Thank you sincerely.

Blessings for a lovely, restful weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home