He Leadeth Me

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Haskel Arnold

Mr. Arnold was a gentle spirit who came to us one day in the middle of a worship service at Western Hills Church of Christ. (some called him "Haskel", but somehow we started calling him "Mr. Arnold" at church and that stuck. Perhaps because he was older and he was respected by those of us who served in the deaf ministry.) Being gentle just seemed to be his true nature and not just because of his deafness. He had the heart of a gentle man. I saw first hand the smile and joy on his face when mothers would bring their small children up to him to say hello or give a hug! I saw the concern on his face when it would be announced that someone at church was sick or in the hospital. But, I think what I will always remember the most, was the night at church when we had our "Members Without Mates" banquet and he came with Mark and I. He was proud to get to wear his red carnation on his lapel and he sat at a table with Mark and I and about four other women who doted over him the whole time. When it came time for the "entertainment", Mark led the crowd in some songs. One was "The Old Rugged Cross". I was sitting across from Mr. Arnold and signing to him thru out the service. But, during that song, he had tears well up in his eyes and then the tears gently streamed down his face. Yet, he never took his eyes off of me. It was like he didn't want to miss one word. I don't know the history behind him loving that song, I didn't ask him. But, I wish I had. That night, when Mark and I dropped him off at home, (I always walked him to the door) he gave me a hug and told me he loved me. Mr. Arnold came to us at Western Hills one day. He quietly came in, he touched our hearts, he blessed us in many, many ways. Today, my prayer is that he's in heaven with his wife and they are hearing the voice of Jesus and singing with the angels the praises of God!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home